UNEMPLOYABLE WE: WHAT THEY DID FOR US AND HOW WE FAILED

Saturday, November 14, 2015

And our second biochemical writer has been a regular caller on the blog, he has authored two posts this and this, So I guess we have to sit back, relax and enjoy this write up he entitled "UNEMPLOYABLE WE: WHAT THEY DID FOR US AND HOW WE FAILED" 

I sat by the window of the bus. The bus was filling up quickly and soon we’d be off to Aba. I have just been doused with dirty and clean water, and stoned pure water sachet by my lodge mates in the now infamous rite of passage in Nigeria Universities. It was fun, but now it was over. Back to the real world.

The time was around 5:30 pm. And less than two hours ago, I had written my final paper and was now a graduate. I was happy, proud but I was empty and lost. And as that bus pulled out of the park, the only thought on my mind was “did I just waste four years of my life? What did I achieve? Am I really worth it?” I don’t know the answers to my own questions, so it only scared me more and I felt like I was drowning in a sea of uncertainties and fears. I could barely breathe. At that moment I needed no soothsayer to tell me I was lost and I couldn’t find my way out.


What do I know about biochemistry? Honestly? Nothing. Nada. Zilch. And I didn’t care. I just wanted to get the certificate. And I could barely perform any biochemical magic if I was left in a laboratory. What do I know about originality and life in general? NOTHING. Do I have a talent? Sure, in passing exams without even caring what the course was all about. Twice each year we go through the mundane, but obligatory, exercise of burying ourselves in books, burning the midnight candle and studying what we barely understand or believed in. It becomes a part of us that we purse these things and we become passionate about things we don’t understand. And in the end, these things becomes our greatest achievements, our biggest failures and the biggest testament that even though we have achieved so much, we have also failed so much in pursing what we never wanted in the first place. Sometimes I think it is the cross of being a Nigerian student in a Nigerian school where talk has more value than experience.

And as that bus sped away from Umuahia to Aba, I knew deep within me, in all certainty, that I have not fought a good fight but instead I have run a good race and have won a good, but soulless race. If that bus had crashed that day my description would have been; “a recent graduate of biochemistry.” Nobody would have known that though I have passed most of my exams I knew nothing about those courses.



If I ever have a child I’d say to him or her: “Child, planning is good, education is wonderful but so also is making the rules as you go. Going to class is ideal but I’d rather you stayed in the lab mixing chemicals you don’t know the name or hacking into computer. Someday you might discover something. And if you get burnt while playing with chemicals, you’ve learned a lesson and gained an experience, which is: ‘always read the instruction manual first’.”
That is the beauty of experience, it is the best teacher. And it makes us appreciate the theoretical more. I confided in a friend about my fears of my incompetency and he replied thus;

“…. By this time next year, I will be a graduate of engineering. But here is the funniest part: I can draw and tell you more about how stuffs works than how to make them work. I suppose that’s what makes us Nigerians.”

They say Nigeria youths are unemployable but whose fault is it? That is what the Nigerian system has made us students, precocious genius with no employable skills.

Emeka Nwankwo


Oya let me rant small, All these Nigerians praying for France, Una never pray for Nigeria with all the Boko attacks we dey suffer, i have never seen such massive support for nigeria....where is our patriotism?

Like the wise man says "Thank you for the past 7 minutes of your time"

post signature

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. This made a great read for me. Emeka speaks the mind of a many Nigerian graduates. We go through a system where talk is more important than experience like you rightly pointed out... I don't know if the change mantra currently going on in the nation can tweak this so called Nigerian system for the future good of our nation.
    There is still hope.
    Weldone Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ugoo
      I believe that there's still hope and one day we'll get there

      Delete
  2. Nice piece i must say! Kudos Emeka! I share in ur fear as well, even as am enjoying the title of being a graduate i still ask my self if what i know really equates the title! But all the same i do not regret my 4yrs stay cos i see the university as a place where ur eyes r opened to the realities of life! B y the time you come out, thats when ur true life journey actually begins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Touché! You've said it all Chigoo. University changed my perspective on life and I met wonderful people.

      Thanks for the compliment, am truly honored

      Delete

Thank you for making out time to read my blog, Your comments are appreciated.

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images