CHATTING EMOTIONS

Saturday, November 07, 2015


Some days ago, I can't really remember if it was on facebook, but the whole scenario was about a month after graduating my course mates are now unleashing their literacy skills. A friend and Course mate Kasi Junior the SEC GEN of NSBS 2014/2015 Excos commented on one of the posts with his big grammar and he was like "After four years, they thought they trained Biochemists but little did they know that they trained vicious writers who would attain heights that likes of Chinua Achebe didn't attain". So i thought to my self this must be termed "Biochemical Diversification", subsequently we came up with a code-name abi hashtag "#anywaynapathway". In respect to that I assembled a team of biochemical writers to thrill you guys on the blog. So our first writer happens to my able course rep who just turned a blogger.....But that boy never gree ginme im blog address. So enjoy his piece he entitled "Chatting Emotions".

Social networks has easily become the most popular means of communication in the world with over 73% of the world visiting the endless list of social networking sites (In fact it has become a ritual for people to check their tweet, notifications, messages and update even before they say their morning prayers). This is due to the rapid rate of communication, ease of making friends and the freedom of self-expression it offers.
Am also a fan of the social networks (can spend my entire day sitting at a spot and navigating the various social network sites I subscribe to). I have many friends I chat with especially on FACEBOOK and WHATSAPP. Over time I have discovered the inherent difficulty in expressing emotions (especially those that bothers on the perception people form about your personality in general rather those for expressing love) during chats on social networks and most other written forms of communication. Though emotions could be expressed through words it is difficult for the reader to detect the tone, the mood and facial expression of the reader especially as the messages are usually brief and straight to the point. Yet on the long run, (especially if it is someone you rarely or have never seen) the person forms a perception about your personality such as harsh, caring, pragmatic, talkative, strict, easy going and so on.
For example if one says  "I don’t want it " the reader could interpret it to have a harsh undertone and so conclude that the writer is angry and is shouting as well it, whereas the writer could be have meant it in the most polite manner. And the fact that one rarely pays attention to punctuation on social media doesn’t help matters.
I guess the owners of some social networks have discovered this too and that’s the reason behind the inclusion of smileys and other forms of facial expression in other to enable the reader connect with the emotion of the writer.
One of the days I was trying to establish connection with someone I used to know (although not closely) on Facebook, so I was curious to find out some facts about her current status because I thought I had seen her somewhere. I asked her a question instead of replying she asked me her own
(Like any typical Nigerian would do), then when I insisted she answered me first, the next reply I got was
"Tie a rope to my neck”
Then I knew that the hand shake has crossed the elbow because she misunderstood my persistence for rudeness. I knew this couldn’t have happen if it was a face to face or phone conversation. So instead of reacting negatively I made fun of the situation by sending her a smiley expressing laughter and told her I was only curious and didn’t mean to be rude. She eventually called me up later, we had a brief chat and it was all good. With anyone else who doesn’t understand this, the whole thing could boil over and we would engage each other in a war of words.
There is another friend of mine whom for the past four years our only means of communication has been through the social networks and calls (only once in a while). I observed that in our recent chats she frequently used words like don’t judge me, don’t scold me , you will be a strict dad…… so I asked her a few questions about her perception of my personality, drawing her attention to the words she has been using. And I got to find out she thought of me as someone that is strict, pragmatic, uptight, and probably a perfectionist. Which I believe describes the exact opposite of who I actually am. And I know it all boils down to the way she interpreted the things I have said overtime.
This experience has made me change the way I chat this days, I don’t fail to use smileys and words like lol, smh, lmao, etc (If you don’t the meaning of the abbreviations don’t ask me because you probably didn’t get the whole gist) to give my chat a sense of humour.

Chigozie Okoro, B.Sc

  • Mk I put im B.Sc ooo, cos that boy follow for our first class wey we dey graduate. Like the wise man will say, Thank you for the past 7 minutes you spent reading this post.

post signature

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. So true Chigo,i've actually had few disagreements with frnds bcos of misinterpretation of certain statements,one i'll neva forget was wen i askd a frnd a questn via whatsapp nd i perceived his ansa to be rude,but becos i knew he wasn't de kind dat gets angry unneccessarily i quelled by anger.Now,assuming i didn't know dat abt him,am sure dat relationship would have had hiccups.Trully the introduction of smileys has really made conversations via social media alot more understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Chigo,i've actually had few disagreements with frnds bcos of misinterpretation of certain statements,one i'll neva forget was wen i askd a frnd a questn via whatsapp nd i perceived his ansa to be rude,but becos i knew he wasn't de kind dat gets angry unneccessarily i quelled by anger.Now,assuming i didn't know dat abt him,am sure dat relationship would have had hiccups.Trully the introduction of smileys has really made conversations via social media alot more understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! this was an apt read.. I specifically love how his writing is very detailed and professional, but yet still quite easy to relate with and understand. Weldone King Chigozie... and a hearty congratulations on bagging a 1st class in Biochemistry sir.. That is no small feat eh! even if i say so myself Oga Boss.. It is a worthy one. Oshey! Akada someboRRy..

    You know yeah brother.. Social media has more or less caused more Katakata and nwanyo nwanyo. i mean many atimes yeah.. Friendships are marred all because people take or took what another said too seriously.. So my decision of recent has been simple.. Study the recipient (Chatee).. If a chat goes awry the first time.. na Mistake.. If it happens Twice.. Then Back off.. Tahts all.. Its like Dating.. No be fight...

    Weldone King Ice.. I see teh full team is coming on Board.. **Rubs Palms togeRRa.. Cant wait mehhnnn.. as this was a fun ghen ghen read.. and the crowd goes.. Oshey! King Ice for President. Cheers Boss..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lord Duruh for ur warm comments! Made me feel better than Chinua Achebe!

      Delete
  4. THANKS King Ice for making me write this piece! You are still the man! As for my blog its still loading n i dont think it will be done without ur professional touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks gift for reading and understanding as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making out time to read my blog, Your comments are appreciated.

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images