21st CENTURY FRIENDSHIP?

Friday, April 08, 2016


Sometimes I sit down and wonder if I really have friends or just a bunch of associates who just hang around for our mutual benefit. The dictionary defines Friend asa person with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically one exclusive of sexual or family relations. But from my own perspective I don't think the contemporary world sees friendship like that or is it fact that I just want more, am not satisfied with our interpretation of friendship or rather I just have a bunch of associates who are there for whatever they benefit like I said earlier. Well who am I, it's just the opinion of one person even though majority would resonate with this statement.



Most times I begin to wonder, about what being friends really implies, does it include the inclination to be in contact with one particular individual or with everybody whom we regard as friends, even though many a time that inclination is often accompanied by feelings which we fail to see or decide to maintain a blind eye for reasons which atleast makes us sleep at night. The younger generation would literally call that "Catching feelings for that individual". Maybe my own definition of being friends is should I say obsolete which requires an equal discharge of attention, I won't like to even associate it with dating in 2016 because lately we date because we are super lonely and we don't want to be lonely again and also because we crave for sex and in the African setting we don't want to labelled as that bad egg that patronizes sex workers.



Back in the days when we had just the postal agencies and writing of letters as a way of keeping in contacts with friends, I would say the word friendship was really more honourable, then you would exchange dozens of letters with your friends and it was really sweet seeing a stockpile of those letters. Ah who says those days weren't the best, don't be mistaken I wasn't born in the 60's, 70's and 80's am a 90's kid who didn't really wait too long to catch up with tech, but I really enjoy the ethics of the good old days. Lately with all the tech and all that our so called can't even check on us even with the free texting, that's brings me to what I decided to call the "Priority List". If you notice or you haven't noticed, there are some people whom if you don't contact for like two weeks or more, they won't even contact you unless they need something from you, I won't really classify that category of people as close friends, I prefer the name "Seasonal Friends" which unfortunately if we check our friendlist, it's full of our Seasonal Friends. So my dearest friend, what type of friend are you?

PS: There are no parameters to measure friendship, I think it's a thing nurtured in our hearts.

The winner of the giveaway is Emmanuel

post signature

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I contested like an African politician so I won.



    I don't have friends just acquaintances and colleagues. Friendship has been abused....


















    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! Manniee!! So you still dey keep this your space.. Lol! Congratulations sir.

      Delete
  2. great article

    http://www.queenhorsfall.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this my Brother.. was tha BOMB!! I mean ehhnn... it Blew me to cloud 9 like Kilode!! Amazing Bruv! Amazing! Weldone.. The Depths.. oh my!! This was a beautiful read!

    This line hit me like a Thunder Bolt Sir.. the one where you came and went and come and said

    "because lately we date because we are super lonely and we don't want to be lonely again and also because we crave for sex and in the African setting we don't want to labelled as that bad egg that patronizes sex workers" WOW!!

    Truth is Bruv... We have friends who are only as good as the friends we are to them.. So dont sweat it Bruv.. Give your heart.. and if for some reason the other someboRRy doesnt give their own Back.. Just pick up and move on!!! Friendship is a beautiful thing.. But like you said Sir.. It is overly abused. Amazing Article King Ice! Amazinggg!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making out time to read my blog, Your comments are appreciated.

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images